Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Body Image

"Body image is a term which may refer to a person's perception of his or her own physical appearance, or the interpretation of the body by the brain. Essentially, body image describes how one perceives one's appearance to be to others, which in many cases may be dramatically different from one's objective physical condition or how one is actually perceived by others. "



That is the definition I found from wikipedia.com. Which sounds all good and gravy. I tend to have a hard time seeing the positive in this definition.



Everyone distorts her body size to some extent. After all, people can only look at themselves from within or through a mirror. They can never see themselves from the perspective of someone else. Having some body image distortion is normal. As teenager, I was obsessed with achieving the “white girl” look: slim hips, perky breasts, flat stomach. I hated that I didn’t look like models in my magazines. In high school and most of college, I was straight up and down, no curves, no hips, no butt, and a card carrying member of the IBTC. (itty-bitty tity committee)


I believe that every woman is utterly and completely beautiful. I am ususally the first to say so. I will stop a complete stranger to compliment her. Me on the other hand dont know how to take a compliment, I will throw the attention off me in a heartbeat. Many have to understand that growing up I didnt hear any positive compliments and as adult they are far and few between. Mainly I always heard about how Im not and when I find myself faced with produced images of beauty in magazines or billboards, I still can’t help but wish I looked like them to an extent. Im still on a quest for a flat stomach. As a photographer and this day in age with photoshop, you think that I would understand that what I see at times have been altered. It even has creept into my mind while I am with my partner, I worry that he would see a hair here, or a flabby spot there, and be turned off.



After having time to myself and some internet searching, i found out that this is an age old debate, since women are exploited at times and we live in a visual society. I did find three tips to a healthier body image on glamour.com that I agree with



1. "I will spend less and less time in front of mirrors--especially when they are making me feel uncomfortable and self-conscious about my body."



2. "I will list 5-10 good qualities that I have, such as understanding, intelligence, or creativity. I will repeat these to myself whenever I start to feel bad about my body."



3. "I will surround myself with people and things that make me feel good about myself and my abilities. When I am around people and things that support me and make me feel good, (That’s what I have you guys for!) I will be less likely to base my self-esteem on the way my body looks." (I guess the flipside of that is to not hang around with people who make me feel horrible about myself, right? (I already knew that, but it's a good reminder!)



(borrowed from 3 tips to a Healthier Body Image http://www.glamour.com/health-fitness/blogs/shape-up/2009/08/3-tips-for-better-body-image.html)

No comments:

Post a Comment